Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Banana Brûlée Oatmeal

As some of you may know, I am currently on a 21 day yoga cleanse. The cleanse requires a vegan diet with no gluten, alcohol, added sugar, or caffeine as well as a daily yoga practice. It's not as intense as I thought it would be as I don't usually eat much meat as it is. The caffeine and sugar is the most difficult for sure. I miss my morning iced coffee with sweetened almond milk and I can't help but daydream about delicious almond croissants. However, I do feel a little better and have even dropped a few pounds.

For my birthday, my husband was so generous to take us out to breakfast so that I didn't have to cook. We hit up The Steeping Room where I had some really delicious banana brûlée oatmeal. It was perfectly sweetened with maple syrup and bananas and I couldn't help but want to try it out at home. This is the recipe I came up with and it tastes just like the one I had at The Steeping Room with a few modifications to better fit into my diet restrictions.

You will need some gluten free steel cut oats, maple syrup, chopped walnuts, one banana, some stevia, and a torch.



Pouring the maple syrup over the walnuts controls the amount of sweetness. I tried pouring the syrup first and then the walnuts on top but it was just a little too sweet.

Almond milk cools the oats and adds a little creaminess to them.

This dish is meant to be layered like a well crafted lasagna. The ramekin I'm using is from Target and is the perfect depth for the dish. I can easily acquire all layers on my spoon with one dig. 



Layer your banana slices overlapping just a tad to ensure a banana in every bite.


 This is the fun part! Torch the bananas until you see the stevia begin to melt or when you see the banana edges crisp a little. If you use brown sugar, it will bubble, liquify and eventually harden once cooled.



Banana Brûlée Oatmeal
Serves 2

1 Cup gluten free steel cut oats (or oats of your choice)
3 cups water
Almond Milk
1/4 tsp salt
2 Tblsp Ground flax seed
2 tablespoon Maple syrup, divided (or to taste)
Chopped walnuts
1 Banana
1 packet Stevia (or brown sugar)

1. Boil water and salt. Once water is boiling, add oats and cook 15-20 minutes depending on preference of chewiness. I like mine to be pretty chewy so I usually boil for 20 minutes. You can cook the oats overnight as well in a crock pot with four cups of water instead of three or in a rice cooker. Once oats are cooked to your preference, let sit for a couple of minutes. Add a bit of almond milk to add some creaminess. I usually add about 1/4 cup or less so that it doesn't water down the oats too much.
2. On the bottom of a oven proof dish (I use a large ramekin but a coffee mug works too), place a layer of chopped walnuts. Pour maple syrup (or agave) over the walnuts. Fill the dish with cooked oats and top with bananas.
3. Sprinke some stevia on top of the bananas to your desired sweetness. Take a butane torch and burn the sugar on top. The stevia doesn't brûlée like brown sugar normally does but it does break down some of the sugar in the bananas so it adds an extra bit of sweetness to the oats. If you don't have a butane torch, you can use your broiler. Just place an oven safe dish on the top rack and let sit for 2-4 minutes. Just make sure the dish is cool before chowing down.


No comments:

Post a Comment