Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Bento Theme: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Hope everyones Labor Day weekend was labor free and relaxing. Ours was a little chaotic and went by a little too fast. I am participating in a family fantasy football league and our draft took up almost 4 hours of my precious time. Yeah, i know, super nerdy. As my husband so eloquently put it "I slay internet dragons and even I think fantasy football is nerdy". He's so kyoot y'all! hehe.

Anyway, back to todays post! Did a special themed bento for the little one. TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES! Cowabunga dudes!! More specifically, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze.



My brother was big into TMNT as a kid. Does anyone remember the delicious TMNT cereal!?
Seriously, SO DELICIOUS. And who can forget the awesome turtle bowls that came with them!?

Anyway, back to my nerdy brother. He loved TMNT and my mom was awesome enough to save some of his tshirts and sweaters. Pulled his vintaaggeeeee tshirt out of my moms hope chest and it fit Ellie perfectly. She was so thrilled to wear it to school this morning. 

Vintage TMNT shirt, Old Navy skirt, Converse sneakers




Todays bento featured a little do it yourself pizza kit! I used the pilsbury refrigerated pizza crust that comes in the can and sliced the roll into long strips. I then cut the strip into thirds so that they would fit into her bento. Underneath the turkey pepperoni is some shredded mozzarella cheese and on the top left hand corner is that pizza sauce for her to spread on the crust and assemble her own pizzas. Its very much like the pizza lunchables but a little better quality. I made the pizza sauce (recipe below) myself last weekend and kept it in a mason jar in the fridge. On the bottom left is some OOZE aka green honey greek yogurt. The two turtles are Ellies favorites. I would have made all four but that is just wayyyy to much sugar for one meal. The eye masks are made out of fondant that I colored with the food dye gels. I rolled them out and hand cut the shapes using a paring knife. I filled in the gaps with some grapes and voila! 

Part of my weekend prep included making the pizza crusts in advance. I purchased two types of pre made pizza dough because I really didn't feel like busting out the kitchen aid and cleaning up a flour mess. I used the pilsbury brand successfully and also purchased a wheat dough in the frozen food section and it did not turn out well. They burned and they were a little too crunchy. 


Because I didn't put any toppings on the actual dough, I would recommend baking them for a short period of time. I baked the pilsbury ones for a about 8 minutes and they were just a bit overdone. I would suggest 6-7 minutes. Keep a close eye on them! They will burn very quickly (trust me, I know). I stored the crust in a plastic baggy overnight and popped them in her lunchbox this morning. 



Pizza Sauce

1 15oz can of Tomato Sauce

1 6oz can of tomato Paste

2 Garlic cloves, minced

1 tablespoon of dried basil

Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)




Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan and simmer for 20-30 minutes to allow flavors to combine. Spread on pizza or store in a jar for up to 2 weeks.

In closing, I would like to leave you with this:



You're welcome.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment